The Results of the Research
According to the results of the “Research on the Waste of Bread in Turkey” the common opinion of all the sectors is that throwing away bread, which is a basic food product, is seen as one of the worst behaviors. The research also indicates that waste of bread is not caused due to bad will but it is caused by “neglect and unawareness”
In the research, waste is defined as using bread other than its intended use, that is, it is not consumed as human food or it is thrown away. Therefore the bread that is not used as human food and is given to animals is also accepted as waste because in order to allow bread to be consumed as human food the procedures carried out in the process of producing flour and bread such as work, cost and time are wasted. Therefore the use of bread instead of the grain products that could be used as animal feed is considered as waste in terms of economy.
It is emphasized that all sectors of the society are aware that throwing away bread is not only waste in terms of economy but it is waste in every way but there is a need of knowledge on the proper methods of preservation and consuming.
According to the research in Turkey;
25.295 tons per day, 9,2 million tons per year, when calculated according to 250 gram standard bread this makes 101 million loaves of bread daily, and 37 billion yearly.
23.809 tons per day, 8,7 million tons per year, when calculated according to 250 gram standard bread this makes 95 million loaves of bread daily, 35 billion yearly.
Waste of bread;
1.486 tons per day, 542 thousand tons per year, when calculated according to 250 gram standard bread this makes 6 million
loaves of bread daily, and 2,1 billion
The rate of waste;
5, 9 % of the total bread production is wasted.
The total of 6 million loaves of bread wasted in one day is wasted according to the following rates;
• 3 million
are wasted in bakeries (51,4 %)
• 2,3 million
at homes (37,9 %)
• 0,6 million
in establishments; personnel and student cafeterias, restaurants and hotels (10,7 %)
The representatives of the different sectors negotiated in the scope of the research have stated the reasons of the waste of bread as follows;
• Bread is bought more than the quantity needed,
• Bread is preferred to be served in the open, or unpacked in cafeterias,
• Over production in bakeries,
• Bread is stored under improper conditions,
• The unawareness of the ways of using stale bread.
For the prevention of the waste it was emphasized that necessary measures must be taken on the following matters;
• The bread served in cafeterias should be sliced thinly,
• The production of excess bread in bakeries should be prevented,
• The people working in the production of bread should be trained,
• Bread should be stored properly,
• Stale bread should be used in suitable ways,
• The consciousness that bread used to feed animals is also waste must be imposed,